Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Favorite Casserole Recipe - Broccoli, Rice, Chicken and Cheese!

Hey y'all! 

I travel for work quite a bit, and Ryan gets LOTS of casseroles while I am gone. I wanted to share one of my (and Ryan's) favorite recipes- Chicken and rice casserole! I shared this on my old blog, but for how often we make it, it's worth sharing again.

This casserole freezes well and it tastes even better each time you reheat leftovers. I could seriously eat this daily for a week or two...probably not a good idea! Funny thing is that this is the first meal my grandma made when my dad brought my mom home to meet the family. In the style of Ree Drummond (my cooking idol) I will show pictures along with the directions.

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups cooked rice
  • 1 medium package frozen broccoli (chopped or in small pieces)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 1 can water chestnuts, sliced
  • 1 small jar cheez-whiz
  • 3-4 cups chopped or shredded chicken (use more if you want!)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Shredded cheese

 Place chicken in a pot and fill with water. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Go ahead and turn the oven on to 350 if you are planning on cooking this now.
 While the chicken is cooking, go ahead and cook the rice.
 Drain the water chesnuts 
 Combine milk, cheez-whiz, broccoli, cream of chicken, and water chestnuts in a bowl or pot.
 Add chicken! I like to shred mine, but chopping works too. It's just whatever is easiest for you.
 Start adding rice until you think the mixture seems thick (but not too thick) - I end up using about 4 cups.
 

 Place mixture in a greased baking dish.
Sprinkle cheese on top. Seriously, who doesn't like extra cheese?
Pop in the oven for 30 - 35 minutes or freeze for later in the week. I think Ryan can vouch that it tastes pretty yummy after being frozen!
Not the prettiest picture, but I PROMISE it tastes amazing! If you do try it, let me know what you think!


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *