Tuesday, July 29, 2014

25. Really Surprise Someone

Hey y'all!

So if you know me at all, you know that I am a TERRIBLE liar. I think this is a good thing, but when you're trying to surprise someone, dang that makes things hard!

I got an idea in my head in March that I wanted to do something really fun for Ryan's birthday this year. He has talked about going to a Cubs game together since we started dating, so I figured we could go for that. I looked at the schedule, and not only were they going to be in Chicago, they would be playing the Cardinals! I texted our friend Ian (who Ryan has known most of his life) in May, and we got to planning. 

You're probably wondering "why does it matter that you're a terrible liar?" Well, it matters because I wanted this to be a complete surprise. Every single time I try to surprise Ryan, he figures out what I'm planning. EVERY SINGLE STINKIN TIME! I literally flew to Florida for his birthday two years ago thinking he had no idea, and the second he walked in the door from class, he told me he had figured it out. Grr...

I bought the plane tickets in May and looked at game tickets and talked with Ian often about where we should sit and what we should do leading up to Ryan's birthday. Two weeks ago, Ryan saw that Ian had texted me. I just said "Oh, I found out when my training in Chicago is and I was seeing if they would be in town so we could maybe go up the weekend before." Luckily, he didn't ask more questions.

Fast forward to a week later. Ryan suddenly asks me "So when are we picking up Ian from the airport?" UM WHAT?! Told you I couldn't lie! Luckily, we thought Ian was coming to Tulsa and that was it. I said "Please don't ask me questions about your birthday or you are not getting your present." Yeah, that didn't stop him, but I just avoided the questions for a couple of days. 

Last Friday, Ryan's parents came into town for what Ryan thought was the entire weekend. Terry and I said we just couldn't wait until Monday for him to open his presents. He kind of rolled his eyes and sat down. The first gift he opened was from his parents and was a personalized cubs jersey. He thought that was pretty cool and apparently didn't think into it much.

I then handed him a card and watched as he opened it....oh the suspense! When he first opened it, he didn't look at the enclosure. Once he saw the tickets, I could see him piecing it together. I told him we were leaving for Chicago Sunday and going to the game with Ian and Whitney. Finally, he said "wait, we aren't picking up Ian at the airport, Ian is picking US up??" HE HAD NO IDEA!! SUCCESS!!!!

Thanks Danny and Terry for our jerseys!

Have you ever surprised someone? Leave a comment and let me know! I LOVE surprises. :) Look for another post this week about our trip!

Until next time,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *