Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Ribbon Wreath Tutorial

Hey y'all! 
This is actually a post from my old blog, but I thought I might share it again. I made my first ribbon wreath in 2011 with my friend Kara and have made a few since then as well for gifts. You don't have to be "crafty" to make one of these at all! I have posted directions below that my friend Shannon gave me years ago (thanks again!). Here is what you need: 12" styrofoam wreath form (Shannon used a 14", Kara used a 10" on one of hers, it just depends on what you want!) Straight pins - I bought one big package (750) and probably used about half of them. Ribbon! - You can use skinny or thick, whatever you want! I used mostly skinny so it took more, Kara used all thick so it didn't take as much, but both were really cute! I bought about 10 yards of 9 different kinds of ribbon, but only used a little over half of that. Rhinestone pics from the bridal department at Hobby Lobby - So cute! Ruler Scissors
Step 1: Cut the ribbon into about 4.5" strips. This takes quite a while, Kara had a great idea to use the length of her phone (we have iPhones) to approximate the length.

Step 2: Take a piece of ribbon and form a loop with each piece. The ends should overlap by about 1/2". Place a straight pin through the ribbon, from the inside out, to hold ends together. If your ribbon is one sided, make sure that your design is on the outside. It should look like this:

Step 3: Attach the ribbons to the styrofoam form by pushing the pins into it. I'm a little OCD about things being even, so I started by evenly spacing (somewhat) each ribbon. As it gets fuller you just have to randomly push them in and keep going until you can't see the styrofoam anymore.


Step 4: Once you have gotten it as full as you want it, you can put the rhinestones onto pins and push those into the styrofoam.



Step 5: Finally, add a loop of ribbon to the back (I just used a few pins to hold it in place) so that you can hang it on a door. DONE!


Below are Kara's wreaths (the first was for her house at the time and the second was for her mom).



I made this wreath for my parents house. Instead of rhinestone pins, I used pearls and added a wooden letter by gluing straight pins to the wood and pushing it into the styrofoam.




Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *